Last updated: 18/08/2015 13:38:25
Value your coins with our pre-decimal silver coin valuation calculator
It’s very common to see dealers offering to purchase pre-decimal silver coins based on their face value. Typical deals offered are 8 to 10 times face value for pre-1947 coins and around 20 times face value for pre-1920 coins.
We receive many enquiries from customers who’ve worked out the face value of their coins & had a quote from a local coin buyer & then contact us to get a comparative quote. This can often be quite tricky for us, as we pay by weight and the customer won’t know the weight of their coins & don’t have sufficiently accurate scales on which to weigh them.
To solve this problem, we’ve produced a handy pre-decimal silver coin valuation calculator. All you have to do is enter the face value of your coins & we’ll calculate the estimated value based on our current silver payout rates. If you want to compare the amount we’re offering against a local coin dealer, you can enter their quote into our form and we’ll compare their offer with ours. We’ll even take into account your postage fees so that our comparison is a fair one.
From our own comparisons, we’re paying anything from 25% to 75% more than high street coin buyers. Our rates are clear and we pay out on the day we receive your coins.
All silver coins minted from 1920 to 1947 contain 50% silver. The remainder of the alloy mix is mostly copper with a small amount of zinc and nickel.
Due to the increasing cost of silver, the Royal Mint debased all silver coins in 1920 from 92.5% silver to 50% silver. From 1947, silver was removed entirely from all coins and replaced with a copper / nickel alloy mix.
All silver coins dated 1919 and earlier are 92.5% (Sterling) silver. The remaining 7.5% of the alloy is copper.
Mail (will not be published)
Notify me when new comments are added.
Tags: Predecimal, Silver Coins
Unsure of the weight or type of gold you have? No problem! Simply complete our simple online claim form and send us your scrap gold for a free, no-obligation quote.
© Copyright Gold-Traders (UK) Ltd 2015. All rights reserved.
Company Registration Number: 6521732Registered Office: PO Box 3389, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN4 7WQ
Created by Edward Robertson web design with the Responsive Grid System.